verify rpm package as non-root user

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Sat Jul 24 15:10:05 UTC 2004

On July 22, 2004 09:45 am, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> Running RHEL 3.0 on x86 box.
>
> I want to install some software as the non-root user
> (Oracle packages) and the instructions require that
> some packages should be installed (i.e., glibc-2.3.2-95.3).
>
> As root, I see that glibc-2.3.2-95.3 is installed; as the
> non-root user, the application can not access it and I
> get the message:
>
> [snip]
> error: db4 error(13) from dbenv->open: Permission denied
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Permission denied (13)
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> no packages
> [/snip]
>
> According to the docs, I'm supposed to be the non-root user
> when installing. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -X

You need to be root to install rpm's because even if you had write access to
where the files go, unless you're root you can't write to the rpm database.

Perhaps the software your looking at is talking about installing from source
or binary where they want you to be the user the app will run under. That
would not apply if you are installing an rpm.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce