4 CPU Problem

Michael Wimpee mwimpee at gs.washington.edu
Tue Jul 27 15:13:55 UTC 2004

Chances are, they're Intel Xeon hyperthreaded CPUs, which essentially
make themselves look like two processors each. In an SMP machine, this
can cause problems with threaded applications since the kernel (unable
to distinguish between a real and "virtual" processor) might put several
threads on the same physical processor. A user used to these threads
running on separate CPUs would notice a performance difference.

One thing you might try is turning off hyperthreading in the BIOS.
You'll see a slight performance loss on single-threaded apps, but your
kernel will no longer group threads on the same processor.

Michael Wimpee
System Administrator