Spam and Anti-Virus

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Thu Jul 1 15:17:21 UTC 2004

> I've built a number of high-end mailservers using a combination of the
> following.  So far, they've all worked beautifully.  The bayesian
> "learning" occurs on the server, and all mails are tagged with
> X-Spam-Level headers for client filtering.  This wouldn't stop you from
> adding client-side bayesian clients (like spambayes' pop3proxy).
>
> postfix/TLS
> Cyrus SASL2
> Courier-IMAP/POP w/authmysqlrc and TLS
> MySQL virtual accounts
> PostfixAdmin for account administration
> Squirrelmail
> Amavisd-new
> SpamAssassin
> Razor2
> Clamav

--> The mail server that I'm setting up is just going to be a relay that
will filter out any spam and viruses before it gets to the real mail
server.  I definitely want Postfix as the MTA, but aren't sure about the
spam and AV software yet.  I've always heard that SpamAssassin and ClamAV
is a good combination.  I looked at the Razor2 software above and it seems
to be just another piece of spam software like SpamAssassin.  Do you run
both SpamAssassin and Razor2 on the same server?

> I'm going to be giving a talk on Secure Email Servers at next month's
> Columbia, MD LUG (http://www.calug.com).  Anyone in the area is welcome
> to come, so long as the heckling is kept to a minimum.  ;-)  I'll post
> the document link to this list afterwards.

Sounds cool, I'd love to go but I live in NY and Columbia is just a little
bit out of the way.

> HTH.

Yes, it does, thank you.