Spam and Anti-Virus

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Thu Jul 1 15:26:00 UTC 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Chris Purcell wrote:

> --> The mail server that I'm setting up is just going to be a relay
> that
> will filter out any spam and viruses before it gets to the real mail
> server.  I definitely want Postfix as the MTA, but aren't sure about
> the
> spam and AV software yet.  I've always heard that SpamAssassin and
> ClamAV
> is a good combination.  I looked at the Razor2 software above and it
> seems
> to be just another piece of spam software like SpamAssassin.  Do you
> run
> both SpamAssassin and Razor2 on the same server?

 From the Vipul's Razor homepage:

"Vipul's Razor is a distributed, collaborative, spam detection and
filtering network. Through user contribution, Razor establishes a
distributed and constantly updating catalogue of spam in propagation
that is consulted by email clients to filter out known spam. Detection
is done with statistical and randomized signatures that efficiently
spot mutating spam content. User input is validated through reputation
assignments based on consensus on report and revoke assertions which in
turn is used for computing confidence values associated with individual
signatures."

Yes, amavisd-new hands the email off to SA to do spamchecking.  SA
hands it off to Razor2 (or any number of plugins) to compare against
the known catalogue of spam.

>> I'm going to be giving a talk on Secure Email Servers at next month's
>> Columbia, MD LUG (http://www.calug.com).  Anyone in the area is
>> welcome
>> to come, so long as the heckling is kept to a minimum.  ;-)  I'll post
>> the document link to this list afterwards.
>
> Sounds cool, I'd love to go but I live in NY and Columbia is just a
> little
> bit out of the way.

Hey, I have no problem driving up to NY each January for LinuxWorld.
Too bad they're moving it to Boston... I'll miss my Manhattan Chili
Company lunches.  :(

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting