Can't access RH9 system

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Jul 1 16:21:53 UTC 2004

I have a Redhat 9 system that I can't access. The system was starting to
act very sluggish and I couldn't umount a smb share. So I decided just
to give it a reboot. Shutdown seemed normal but when it came back up it
forced a disk check saying the disk was not clean.

Then it wanted me to run fsck to fix errors, which I did. Now the system
comes up but the only access I have is through a smb share. Just to
reboot it I had to modify crontab and add the shutdown command.

-I can't login at the console, but I don't get any errors. Won't even
prompt me for password.
-ssh fails to load: sshd: RSA1 key generation failed
-webmin starts but is not accessible. Get a perl execution failed error.
-vncserver: vncserver start failed
-and I also see this in messages:
	su: PAM _pam_init_handlers: could not open /etc/pam.conf
	su: PAM pam_start: failed to initialize handlers
	su: PAM pam_end: NULL pam handle passed
	su: su: incorrect password

Any suggestions where to start resolving these issues?

Thanks,
James