dump and ext3

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Jul 1 23:25:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 02:14:48AM +0930, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> ? Ad Wilts

s/A/E

>From these I gather dump might work sometimes but is generally
> messy and unreliable.
>
> I would have expected that backup would be have been a stable
> and core part of any system.

It is.  Just because dump doesn't work doesn't mean that backups aren't
stable.  dump is just a distributor-supplied utility.

> I must say your responses have left me in something of a
> quandary. While one might set up some exotic backup mechanism
> it is not really very convenient to have to treat 2 linux
> machines in a network of 25 or so as special cases.

There are many other reliable backup tools.  We use NetBackup at work.
Other people use a lot of different utilities.  Red Hat Linux ships with
amanda.

> Which brings up another issue. Under linux can I create and
> mount a file system within a file on an existing file system
> rather than on a separate disk partition? This would allow me
> to at least try a restore operation using the space available
> in the current file system.

Look at mount --bind.  I think this does what I think you want.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org