nfs issue...

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Jul 2 00:35:52 UTC 2004

On July 1, 2004 05:22 pm, bruce wrote:
> also....
>
> what is an "empty mount point" and how does one go about creating one!!!!!

A "mount point" is simply a directory where you want to mount a file system.
An empty one would be an empty dirrectory, one that does not contain other
files nor is it being used as a mount point for another fs. (It is possible
to mount over-top of a non-empty directory, making it somewhat hidden)

So, to create a mount point called /mnt/remote_nfs_share
... "mkdir /mnt/remote_nfs_share" :)

> thanks
>

> ok..
>
> for now i seem to have gotten the appropriate services up/running on the
> nfs server... i made a change to the /etc/export file to allow a client
> linux box to have rw access to a idr "/colleges/data"....
>
> i haven't made any other changes to the server (i still can't get the NFS
> Server Config app to work under gnome. It's throwing python errors.... The
> actual app is the redhat-config-nfs app)

never used it, sorry.

> i tried to access the nfs server from the client and got a "connection
> refused" message....
>
> in reading through various threads on google.. i come across the allow/deny
> files.. but i thought if the client wasn't listed in either file.. it
> should be allowed...

If BOTH /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny are empty, then all access is
allowed. If there is anything beyond commented lines in either file, then any
service built to use tcpwrappers (or its lib) must pass the rules those two
files create. If nothing applies, (no catch-all rules) then the connection is
allowed. (is there anything in either file?)

Do you have iptables running?  Try connecting after 'service iptables stop'

> any ideas/comments welcome..!!!!
>
> thanks
>
> -bruce

Pete Nesbitt, rhce