sendmail waiting at boot time

ABrady xunil at kc.rr.com
Fri Jul 2 05:48:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
Shiraz Baig <shiraz_baig at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sir,
> When my Redhat 9.0 boots, it stops at "Starting
> Sendmail" and then keeps waiting for a very long time.
> Then again it stops at "smb-client" and waits there
> endlessly. I want to get rid of this waiting. A few
> weeks back someone had suggested a solution. But I
> can't located it. First of all someone should tell me,
> how can we locate such issues from archives?

man hosts

There is even an example in it to show how entries should be set up.

You can also use

rpm -e sendmail

though you might or might not find you'll need it.

Personally, I'd go ahead and give the machine a name in accordance with
the hosts manpage and be done with it. You could still uninstall
sendmail if you aren't going to need it for anything. But the machine
name will make a few other things work better, too. Like the smb-client
problem.

Just be sure to edit /etc/hosts or 'rpm -e' the binary as root or you'll
get errors.

As for the archives, they're a good idea, but I haven't looked at them
for several years. I have no idea how (or how well) they work these
days.

--
Windows isn't unstable. It's spontaneous!