Forgot Root Password

Roy Ong royong at masterfox.com.sg
Fri Jul 2 07:45:49 UTC 2004

------------------------------

> So here is the problem.
>
> The boot process asks me to run fsck manually because of a error
during
> the file system check. To do so it asks me the root password which I
forgot.
> I know how to change the root password during a normal boot, but
dont know
> how to change in this situation. Does anyone have any ideas on how
to get around this problem ?

Using CD1 - go into Linux rescue mode by typing "linux rescue" when
booting up with CD1
It should try to mount your hard disk - confirm by using the "mount"
command.
If its okay, try this
sh-2.04# chroot /mnt/sysimage
sh-2.04# passwd

This should allow you to change the root password

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MFC E-Mail Virus Protection Service, and is believed to be clean.

Webmaster
Masterfox Connections Pte Ltd
support at masterfox.com.sg