Cant authenticate to LDAP domain with Redhat9

Rigler, Steve SRigler at MarathonOil.com
Fri Jul 2 13:01:54 UTC 2004

To clarify the purposes of some of the files:

/etc/ldap.conf is used by pam_nss so that pam/nss knows where to
go to authenticate and/or look up/map user/group information.
It should be a long, heavily commented file.

/etc/openldap/ldap.conf is used by the openldap client utilities
and probably anything linked against the openldap libraries
(eg. the autofs lookup_ldap.so library).  It will probably only
have a few lines (HOST, BASE, TLS_CACERT, etc).

Those two files are *not* interchangeable.  Due to confusion between
the two, some distributions have resorted to renaming the file
used by pam (eg. pam_ldap.conf).

I wouldn't be as concerned about the information in your
/etc/sysconfig/authconfig.  AFAIK, it is more used by the authconfig
utility to populate itself than for any authentication purposes.

You can edit /etc/pam.d/system-auth manually, but be aware that it
will get overwritten by authconfig should you decide to run it and
change something that way.

Also, there was a brief thread on the openldap-software list about
login with local accounts not working when the ldap server is
unavailably.
Check here for the fix (I don't remember in which version of RedHat this
was fixed):
http://www.netsys.com/openldap-software/2003/02/msg00202.html
(I wouldn't post any questions to the openldap-software list that
aren't specific to openldap...that means no pam, autofs, etc).

I'd check the low-level things on your problem machine first.  Make
sure you can reach your ldap server with ldapsearch, make sure getent
works and then start hitting the pam stuff.  Check via other login
means besides ssh also (try from a virtual console).

-Steve