/ is 99% full

Jonathan Bartlett johnnyb at eskimo.com
Fri Jul 2 14:44:52 UTC 2004

> I am having problems with few filesystems (partions). Following
> partiotions are 85 to 99 % full. I cannot expand the partition or add
> space to it:
>
> /  99% full
> /boot 85% full
> /usr 90 % full
>
> I don't know where to look and what to delete. Can I reduce other
> partitions and increase the size of above partiotion.

First of all, have you rebooted?  If a process is writing to a file, and
you delete the file while it is open, although the file will be
inaccessible, it won't actually be deleted from the disk until the process
closes it.  So if you were deleting log files that were actively being
written to, they may still be there, and may be _growing_ until you kill
the process that has it open (I think lsof can help you here).  Also,
sometimes a good fsck can find space.  I know it always helps me :)

Jon