/ is 99% full

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jul 2 15:25:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 10:07:13AM -0400, Vivek Kumar wrote:
> I am having problems with few filesystems (partions). Following
> partiotions are 85 to 99 % full. I cannot expand the partition or add
> space to it:
>
> /  99% full
> /boot 85% full
> /usr 90 % full

I've read all the other followups but nobody posted my idea.  One thing
to look for when /usr is filling up is an installation of rpms that
you're not using.  I occasionally run a report sorted by rpm sizes and
decide if I need that package installed or not.

A good example is OpenOffice. It's huge (about the size of MS Office
actually), and if you've installed it on a server and aren't using it,
you can get a lot of space back.

[ewilts at p6000 ewilts]$ rpm -qa --queryformat '%{SIZE} %{NAME}-%{VERSION}\n' | sort -n

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org