vsftpd problems

Richardson, Robert RRichardson at activision.com
Fri Jul 2 16:48:40 UTC 2004

Dan,
This is what I do to jail ftp user accounts.

Creating a chroot (jail).
Allow for users to only move around in their ftp home directory.
1. vi /etc/vsftpd.conf
   chroot_list_enable=YES
   NOTE: A man of vsftpd.conf describes the parameter as:
   If  activated,  you  may  provide  a list of local users who are
   placed in a chroot() jail in their home  directory  upon  login.
2. Re-start the xinetd process.
   service xinetd restart
3. Append every new user to a file called /etc/vsftpd.chroot_list.
4. Make sure that the /data/ftp/<login> has permissions set to 700.
   NOTE: I separate my ftp only user accounts into a separate file
         system, named /data/ftp.  All regular user accounts are
         in /home.

When a users log into their /data/ftp/<login> and do a "pwd", they
only see "/".

I hope this helps,
Robert Richardson
Activision Studios