update rpms

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Fri Jul 2 20:01:41 UTC 2004

Mike Vanecek wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:02:46 +0100, Stuart Sears wrote
>
>>Nabin Limbu wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have downloaded the latest rpms of most of the packages that have been
>
> installed in
>
>>>my server. Now how can I upgrade all the packages instead of repeatedly
>
> upgrading
>
>>>one by one and checking for dependencies for so many packages? Is there
>
> any way?
>

>>you could try:
>>
>>cd /dir/with/rpms
>>
>>rpm -ivh kernel-2* (if you have downloaded and wish to update kernels)
>>
>>rpm -Fvh *.rpm (which will only upgrade the packages you already
>>have installed).
>>
>>the easiest way by far would have been (originally) to have
>>installed the new updates via RHN with up2date -uf
>

> How would one do this with RH 9 since RHN for RH 9 is past EOL? I.e., install
> fresh RH 9 - then how to apply all the applicable updated rpms in the RH 9
> ftp updates directory?

you can also manage this with yum and apt4rpm - the fedoralegacy project
http://www.fedoralegacy.org
has complete destructions for setting this up.

yum and apt are available from many places but the main sources I tend
to use are
http://freshrpms.net
http://dag.wieers.com

both apt and yum manage dependencies for you.

AFAICT in fedora core 2 up2date just runs yum in the background.

HTH

Stuart