Quota help

Eucke Warren euckew at sierraelectronics.com
Fri Jul 2 22:33:42 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Nesbitt" <pete at linux1.ca>
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: Quota help

> Hi Eucke,
> I think you need to be using aquota.user & aquota.group (depending on what
> verson of RH your using).
>
> Also, just to be sure, you did "remount" the quota'd fs's.
> 'mount -o remount /'
> then (with aquota.* in place), run
> 'quotacheck /'
>
> Hope that helps.
> --
> Pete Nesbitt, rhce

No luck Pete.  With the aquota* files added at the / directory and even with
a reboot the quota file is not being found. Note the error

[root at euckevmrh /]# quotaon -av
quotaon: Cannot find quota file on / [/dev/sda2] to turn quotas on/off.
quotaon: Cannot find quota file on / [/dev/sda2] to turn quotas on/off.

I get the impression that the quota module is looking for the quota* files
in a location other than / even though / has a direct mount relation to
/dev/sda2.  In the past this was easy as I had a separate partition for /var
and /home.  I got tired of having to adjust partition sizes and so chose
just on massive partition.  Any other suggestions...this is really puzzling
me (like that all that hard....)

Thanks!

-Eucke