Hang related to Internet connection

Elmer E. Dow elmeredow at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 6 04:40:52 UTC 2004

Greetings:

Guessing that the ethernet card may have been causing problems, I've tried
issuing the commands
    # ifconfig
    # ifconfig eth0 down
but with no apparent affect.

Here's the result of
    # ifconfig
    # route -n

Kernel IP routing table
Destination         Gateway             Genmask             Flags   Metric
Ref  Use Iface
63.191.222.9    0.0.0.0             255.255.255.255    UH         0      0
0    ppp0
0.0.0.0             63.191.222.9    0.0.0.0                    UG         0
0      0    ppp0

Strangely, some software loads fine while I'm online, while other software
hangs or doesn't load at all. I tried a few at random with the following
results.

The following loaded successfully in normal amounts of time while I was
online and testing:
GIMP
Kasteroids (game)
Kjots (text editor)
Kate (text editor)
OpenOffice

The following failed to launch at all:
Gedit (text editor)
Balsa (e-mail)

I have previously launched Balsa successfully while online, but it took a
long time (more than 5 minutes) to finally load.

Ximian Evolution launched a small opening screen, then took about 5 minutes
to launch a work window. Once launched, however, it downloaded e-mail OK.

Mozilla mail asks for account password, but once that was entered it took 3
to 5 minutes to load and retrieve mail.

The e-mail programs have the worst problem, but what's going on with gedit?
What does this program have in common with the e-mail programs?

By the way, a reminder that I must load ppp with
    modprobe ppp_async
and unload with
    modprobe -r ppp_async

I can live with that hassle if I must, but I certainly need to fix this
problem of the e-mail programs taking so long to load. At least I'm making
progress. I've had to load a driver to get the winmodem to work, then use
modprobe to launch ppp, and now this. Related problems? Could this problem
somehow be caused by a problem with the driver or ppp itself?

Any further suggestions are welcome. This newbie is in way over his head.

Thanks,

Elmer