OT: Mandrake equivalent of Redhat

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Jul 6 16:55:53 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:57:21AM -0400, rahul b jain cs student wrote:
> I have been trying to install redhat 9.0 on my HP ze4400 since a week now
> and have not been successful. So I am planning to install mandrake on it.

So why do we care?  If you're looking to install Red Hat Linux 9 (which
is obsolete so you should be installing at a minimum Fedora Core 2),
then you can ask here for help and we'll help you through the issues.
Switching to a different distributor's product may or may not work.
You'll certainly get a bunch of new issues though.

> Does anyone know which version of mandrake is equivalent to redhat 9.0 ?
> Also which version of mandrake will have 2.4.20-18.9smp kernel equivalent
> ?

We probably don't know and probably don't care.  You might want to ask
on a Mandrake list where you're more than likely to find people more
familiar with Mandrake.  As for "equivalent", there isn't one - they're
different products from different vendors.  If they were equivalent, you
wouldn't be successful with it either :-)

I won't even get into the question of why you're insisting on an smp
kernel on a single processor laptop..

FWIW, a quick Google search for "linux ze4400" does find some resources
for getting Linux working on this thing.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org