Hang related to Internet connection

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Wed Jul 7 01:02:13 UTC 2004

On July 5, 2004 09:40 pm, Elmer E. Dow wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Guessing that the ethernet card may have been causing problems, I've tried
> issuing the commands
>     # ifconfig
>     # ifconfig eth0 down
> but with no apparent affect.
>
> Here's the result of
>     # ifconfig
>     # route -n
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination         Gateway             Genmask             Flags   Metric
> Ref  Use Iface
> 63.191.222.9    0.0.0.0             255.255.255.255    UH         0      0
> 0    ppp0
> 0.0.0.0             63.191.222.9    0.0.0.0                    UG         0
> 0      0    ppp0
>
> Strangely, some software loads fine while I'm online, while other software
> hangs or doesn't load at all. I tried a few at random with the following
> results.
>
> The following loaded successfully in normal amounts of time while I was
> online and testing:
> GIMP
> Kasteroids (game)
> Kjots (text editor)
> Kate (text editor)
> OpenOffice
>
> The following failed to launch at all:
> Gedit (text editor)
> Balsa (e-mail)
>
> I have previously launched Balsa successfully while online, but it took a
> long time (more than 5 minutes) to finally load.
>
> Ximian Evolution launched a small opening screen, then took about 5 minutes
> to launch a work window. Once launched, however, it downloaded e-mail OK.
>
> Mozilla mail asks for account password, but once that was entered it took 3
> to 5 minutes to load and retrieve mail.
>
> The e-mail programs have the worst problem, but what's going on with gedit?
> What does this program have in common with the e-mail programs?
>
> By the way, a reminder that I must load ppp with
>     modprobe ppp_async
> and unload with
>     modprobe -r ppp_async
>
> I can live with that hassle if I must, but I certainly need to fix this
> problem of the e-mail programs taking so long to load. At least I'm making
> progress. I've had to load a driver to get the winmodem to work, then use
> modprobe to launch ppp, and now this. Related problems? Could this problem
> somehow be caused by a problem with the driver or ppp itself?
>
> Any further suggestions are welcome. This newbie is in way over his head.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Elmer

Hi,
I'm hoping someone with ppp experience may shed some light (if that has
anything to do with the issue). You should bring the eth0 up, then connect
via ppp, then post the results of 'route -n'
>From what you posted, because eth0 is down, there may be a route issue that is
not displayed.

Have you looked at 'top' while these apps are choking? After the info about
which apps hang, I'm less convinced it's routing because text editors
shouldn't care about the network.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce