Hang related to Internet connection

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Wed Jul 7 05:33:41 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 22:41, Elmer E. Dow wrote:
> Pete:
<sni>
> > > Any further suggestions are welcome. This newbie is in way over his
> > > head.

Hi,
Looks like the common things with all the programs you mentioned that failed
to load is GNOME program. Are you running under GNOME or KDE, by the way?

Also, when that program fail to load, or hang, could you take a look at the
log files (/var/log/messages, /var/log/secure, /var/log/XFree86.0.log) ?
Just a shot in the dark. So try like this, for example:

Reproduce the situation in which Evolution will hang or fail to load. Then
fire up 3 console, and run this command in each terminal (as root):
$> tail -f /var/log/messages
$> tail -f /var/log/secure
$> tail -f /var/log/XFree86.0.log

now try to open Evolution, which as you said, will hang. Do you see anything
weird on the terminal  ?

The reason  to try this, I've had situation when GNOME program simply won't
start (not even the X server) just because I put something in the tcp_wrapper
that block it accidentally (something to do with sgi_fam).

RDB