problems receiving e-mail to my server redux

Ed McCorduck Ed.McCorduck at Cortland.edu
Wed Jul 7 08:52:08 UTC 2004

Hi, some of you may remember my postings from a few months ago regarding
the problems I was having with my RH 9-based Web and e-mail server. Some
of the problems have been resolved, namely my Web server now works
mostly fine, i.e. people have no problem accessing the Web pages housed
on my server through the fully-qualified domain name assigned to my home
network (which redirects all Web-page requests to the sole RH 9 Linux
box on my network), and also I can send e-mail to any outside domain and
it's addressed as coming from my domain name's e-mail server. However, I
still cannot receive any Internet mail to my domain name, even mail
that's in direct reply to the above-mentioned type of mail I send
successfully to other servers. That is, the mail always bounces with an
indication that my domain name can't be found, which again is strange
since there is no problem accessing my domain name when it's for my Web
pages.

I've purposely left the above description of my problem curt and vague
because it is described in great detail in a couple of threads I
participated in on another Linux help site; I haven't gotten any
follow-ups there in a while, so I've decided to try this forum again.
I've made copies of those other threads and put them up at the following
addresses: http://mccorduck.cortland.edu/part1 and
http://mccorduck.cortland.edu/part2. If anyone would care to look at
these and study all the details there and possibly lead me to
discovering why I can't receive e-mail to my Linux server, I would
greatly appreciate it.

Ed McCorduck
Department of English
State University of New York College at Cortland
http://mccorduck.cortland.edu
ICQ: http://mccorduck.cortland.edu/pager
AIM: EdMcCorduck