kernel panics on a ProLiant 800 server

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Wed Jul 7 21:07:31 UTC 2004

> Are there any new core files anywhere?
>
> Is there a netdump package for 7.3?
>
> http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/netdump/
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/netdump/
>
> You could setup a netdump server and see if analysing the crash dumps
> sheds any light on the problem.

I've never used netdump before, but I'm willing to give it a try if it
will diagnose the problem here for me.  Will I need to send the dump to a
kernel developer, or is this something that any sysadmin can read?  I know
that the kernel panic screens are very cryptic looking to a non-kernel
developer.  I've seen them at the console sometimes when it dies on me.
Would it be helpful to copy the screen the next time I see a kernel panic
on the screen?  Is there an easy way to do that besides writing it all
down by hand?

Thanks,
Chris