How To Tell if a Program is cached

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Jul 8 01:15:00 UTC 2004

On July 7, 2004 01:53 pm, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm having a problem with my webmail server being slow after some time.
> I've tried restarting httpd, and it didn't really help. Restarting xinetd
> (since imapd is run by xinetd) *seems* to work though (need to test more).
> I am wondering if this is because somehow imapd was cached / put to swap.
>
> Hence my question. Is there anyway to tell if an application or program is
> in swap or in memory ?
>
> Thanks.
> Reuben  D. Budiardja

Hi Reuben,
have a look at top, the man page shows:
STAT The  state  of  the  task is shown here. The state is either S for
            sleeping, D for uninterruptible sleep, R for running, Z  for  zom-
            bies,  or  T  for  stopped or traced. These states are modified by
            trailing < for a process with negative nice value, N for a process
            with  positive  nice value, W for a swapped out process (this does
            not work correctly for kernel processes).

Hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce