updating RH9

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Jul 8 01:48:27 UTC 2004

On July 7, 2004 06:18 pm, Ben Sewell wrote:
> Hi Pete, thanks for the reply.
> Ok I went to the mentioned site and I assume this is what I need to replace
> for the source thing for up2date:
>
> rpm http://download.fedoralegacy.org/apt redhat/9/i386 os updates
> legacy-utils
>
> However, how do I edit this? I'm hoping this is like many linux
> configuration files where you can just use a text editor.
>
> Regards,
> Ben
>
> From: Pete Nesbitt <pete at linux1.ca>

> >To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
> >Subject: Re: updating RH9
> >Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:53:15 -0700
> >
> >On July 7, 2004 05:19 am, Ben Sewell wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I tried using up2date as soon as I loaded into GNOME on RH9 on a fresh
> > > installation. However, it doesnt work. I need a package updater for RH9
> > > using a GUI. I have heard about yum and apt-get but do these work?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Ben
> >
> >Hi,
> >RH 9 is no longer supported directly. You need to use www.fedoralegacy.org
> >get the updates. Visit that site and read the instructions (in download or
> >documentation link) to set up either yum or apt to use with RH9 and the
> >fedora-legacy repository.
> >
> >I don't know of a GUI tool, you can probably set up2date to use Fedora
> >Legacy,
> >but yum or apt seem to be the most popular solutions.
> >--
> >Pete Nesbitt, rhce

Ben,
The file '/etc/apt/sources.list' can be edited with any text editor.

Foe example, using vi, at a command line, as root,
enter 'vi /etc/apt/sources.list' then:
-press 'i' (for insert)
-then press 'enter', followed by an up-arrow. (That should give you a clear
line at the top of the file, with the cursor there)
-add the desired line (it will be the first line in the file)
-press 'Esc' (escape)
-press ':wq'  (collin for command mode, then 'write' and 'quit'

That should do it for editing the file, you can always 'cat
/etc/apt/sources.list' to view it.

Hope that helps...

Here is a related email I received from a co-worked (I was on holidays)
regarding this:
"Works as advertised except for the import of GPG key. Get the key from
fedora.us instead of fedoralegacy.org. Just finished updating my RH9 install
at work."
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce