updating RH9

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Jul 8 23:11:16 UTC 2004

Ben,
Please post to the bottom of messages (and 'snip' what is no longer relevent)
as this makes reading the threads much easier, especially for someone trying
to join an existing thread. So, see my notes at the bottom....

On July 8, 2004 04:58 am, Ben Sewell wrote:
> Hi Pete,
> thanks for the place to get the new RPMs. One problem though: I havnt
> registered at the RHN and when i launch up2date then a thing comes up
> asking me to register at RHN. I added this line:
>
> http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/
>
> for rpm and rpm-src along with this after both: os updates freshrpms
>
> What do you mean by the GPG Key? I cant find anything about a GPG key in
> sources.list so maybe i should reveal the whole file if anyone can spot
> what's wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Ben
>
> From: Pete Nesbitt <pete at linux1.ca>

<snip>

> >Here is a related email I received from a co-worked (I was on holidays)
> >regarding this:
> >"Works as advertised except for the import of GPG key. Get the key from
> >fedora.us instead of fedoralegacy.org. Just finished updating my RH9
> >install
> >at work."
> >--
> >Pete Nesbitt, rhce

ben,
I don't know about using up2date for the fedora legacy site. I was going by
the docs at their download page where there are instructions for using apt or
else yum.
They do not mention up2date, although it may be configurable to use that site,
but without experimenting with it, I don't know how to set it up.

It 'appears' up2date uses something like (all one line):
"yum channel updates from
ftp://ftp.telus.net/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/1.90/i386/os"

(that is from a FC 1 machine, so don't use it, plus the url is no longer)

The GPG Key is for validating the rpm download site. It is mentioned in step
2.2 for both yum and apt.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce