EXT3 problems in Enterprise Workstation 3?

Michael Halligan Michael.Halligan at MyPoints.com
Fri Jul 9 01:21:01 UTC 2004

I've had about three servers in the past week lose their root partitions
during nightly backup.. It only loses the root
partition, and it's rather strange. It doesn't necessarily lose the data
in the root partition, but it might as well, since fsck
ends up deleting all the inodes.  These are all Dell PowerEdge 1750s
with two mirrored 36GB scsi drives on Dell's Perc/4I card.

I've given up trying to figure out who to talk to at dell for the
worthless support we purchased on these was hoping maybe somebody else
was  running into this? I've dug through ERRATA and haven't seen any
ext3 bugs, but at this point I'm unsure what to do.  The hardware seems
fine, but I won't rule out the possibility that these raid cards suck.

Michael T. Halligan