Cant authenticate to LDAP domain with Redhat9

Steven shaughto at ee.ucr.edu
Fri Jul 9 03:50:12 UTC 2004

Ok, I wanted to check with my boss before messing with the ldap server. So I
asked him; he said that there is nothing wrong with the server.  He then
proceeded to take a quick look at the "server which is pissing me off" and
said that in order for pam_ldap.so to work I need ssh 3.7 or higher.

I thought to myself, finally, maybe this is the answer, since I had openssh
3.5.  Anyways I proceed to install rpms of openssh 3.7.1p2-1 and its
dependencies.  Here is the specifics:

[root at blochee root]# rpm -qa | grep ssh
openssh-askpass-3.7.1p2-1
openssh-3.7.1p2-1
openssh-clients-3.7.1p2-1
openssh-server-3.7.1p2-1
openssh-askpass-gnome-3.7.1p2-1
[root at blochee root]#

I made sure to check my /etc/ssh/ssh_config and my /etc/ssh/sshd_config and
modified anything that was not correct.  Anyways to my dismay this did NOT
WORK.  However, my login error does give a new line of information in my
/log/messages file. Here it is:

Jul  8 20:20:57 blochee sshd(pam_unix)[21476]: check pass; user unknown
Jul  8 20:20:57 blochee sshd(pam_unix)[21476]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=spidey.ee.ucr.edu
Jul  8 20:20:59 blochee sshd[21474]: error: PAM: Authentication failure
Jul  8 20:21:03 blochee sshd(pam_unix)[21477]: check pass; user unknown
Jul  8 20:21:03 blochee sshd(pam_unix)[21477]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=spidey.ee.ucr.edu
Jul  8 20:21:05 blochee sshd[21474]: error: PAM: Authentication failure

What I now get that I did not have before is the line with "error: PAM:
Authentication failure".
If I am understanding this correctly this means that pam_ldap.so is getting
called now.... Am I correct in my assumption?
This is good because before I update ssh I did not get that error so it look
like pam-ldap.so was not working at all.
Does this shed any light onto my problem?  Maybe my ssh config files are not
set correctly?
If you still think I need to look at the ldap server log files I will.

BTW, On the other redhat servers they run with openssh 3.5.1 and they
work......
Thanks for everybodies help on this problem.
--
Steven