Client not sync when NFS server move exported directory

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Fri Jul 9 04:00:40 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have a backup server that do backup of several remote machines using
rsnapshot every 6 hours. Basically it takes snapshot of the remote machines
and put it in hourly.0, hourly.1,hourly.2, hourly.3, and rotate the backup
everyday.

>From the backup server I exported the hourly.2 directory, and mount using NFS
from, say, my workstation.

When rsnapshot run, it basically does;
1. rm hourly.3
2. mv hourly.2 to hourly.3
3. mv hourly.1 to hourly.2
4. cp hourly.0 to hourly.1
5. rsync hourly.0 with the most current snapshot.

After every snapshot run, when I try to access the NFS mounted directory from
my workstation, I think I actually see the moved directory, that is I see
hourly.3 instead of hourly.2 (because of step 2 above). If I unmount then try
to mount again, I'd get 'permission denied'. The only way I can fix it is to
restart nfs service from the backup server, then try mounting again.

Is there a better way to do this? Of cource I can just put all those as cron
jobs, but if there's a way to keep my NFS mounted directory to sync with the
new hourly.2 after rsnapshot run, that'd be great.

Thanks for any help.
Reuben D. Budiardja