EXT3 problems in Enterprise Workstation 3?

Michael Halligan Michael.Halligan at MyPoints.com
Fri Jul 9 20:15:43 UTC 2004

The kernel version is 2.4.21-9.0.3-SMP

And the boxes are almost identical in configuration. The only really
reproducable part of this problem is that it happens during periods of
High disk activity, when I'm doing the nightly backups.  There are no
Large files though, these are small application and database servers.

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Faehl, Chris
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 8:23 AM
To: mblackburn at glenraven.com; General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: RE: EXT3 problems in Enterprise Workstation 3?

This sounds like a major bug in at least the RedHat-shipped kernels. In
many older versions of Netbackup, files greater than 2GB could not be
backed up (I believe you'd get an Error 1, and the file would be
skipped). This should never cause massive filesystem corruption, and
Netbackup shouldn't be at issue here (it's just Veritas tar, and only
should change metadata when performing backups). Michael, do you have
your systems configured similarly? Marvin and Michael - what kernel
version are you running?

--
Chris Faehl
Hosting Manager, RightNow Technologies