scsi tape device support

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Jul 12 11:38:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 04:24:42PM +1200, geoff rainey wrote:
> cat /etc/redhat-release
> 7.1
>
> uname -a
> 2.4.21

Red Hat never released a 2.4.21 kernel for 7.1.  The last they released
was 2.4.20 and that was in December, 2003.  I don't believe you're
running a Red Hat supplied kernel since I've never seen them deliver a
kernel version 2.4.21 without any other numbers in it.  For that matter,
you've also chosen to cut out most of the rest of the uname -a output.

> Kernel has been upgraded. I do not know the history of the problem. The
> internal DAT drive model is :

So you don't know if it has ever worked?

> The kernel believes it is a SDT10000, when in fact it is a compaq 20/40
> internal dat drive.

This drive is on the hardware compatibility list for 8.0:
http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=details&hid=4724

Try this to see if it helps you get anywhere:
http://sony.storagesupport.com/dds/tapeutility_linux.htm

You do realize that 7.1 is ancient don't you?

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org