Stop screen saver running

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Jul 13 12:47:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 08:12:45AM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> I usually leave a user logged in on my backup server in the datacenter so
> that my assistant can restart the backup after changing tapes, and monitor
> the backups, however, I notice that the screen savers take up to 80% of the
> CPU which is not acceptable.  Is there a way I can remotely kill all
> screensaver sessions so the screen just blanks or doesn't go into
> screensaver at all?

If you're in KDE, right-click the desktop and select "Configure
Desktop".  Change the screensaver to whatever you want or disable it.
On my home system, it's just a black screen.  At work, we always boot
into run level 3 and never leave them logged on.

Is it that hard for your assistant to actually log on?  Leaving a
console session running isn't normally appropriate...

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org