web based monitoring app...

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 14 12:43:35 UTC 2004

hi...

i'm in need of a web based monitoring app for what may turn into a group of
10-20 client machines.. but i tmight grow over time, so i'd like the
solution to be somewhat scalable... i've looked/reviewd some of the apps
mentioned in the other threads... and they have some benefits, but nagio
appears to be suited, given it's web based functionality...

however, i wanted to know if anybody had thoughts about any other app which
might meet my initial needs/criteria. the app i'll need will need to allow
me to essentially monitor machines that will be used in a distributed
environment. the client machines will be running various apps, and
communicating with an nfs share, as well as a box running a mysql db...

i'd like to be able to determine when the individual boxes within the
network are running, as well as the status of key apps being run on the
individual boxes which implies some sort of bidirectional communication
between client box and monitoring machine/app.

i had initially envisioned some form of master monitoring function (web
based for easy accessibility) that utlized a group of perl scripts on both
the client/monitoring box..

nagio appears to fit, as it seems to have the ability to create my own
"monitoring plugin" functions. which also implies that i might be able to
rip out waht i don't need from the existing architecture... i'm not really
in need of monitoring actual traffic flow, just more or less if the machines
are up/status, and if the given processes on the machines are running..

of course, i'd also like to be able to do remote management of a given
client app if possible!!!!

i'm trying not to get too locked in to one app, only to realize that it's
not going to come anywhere close to solving my issues..

i can provide additional information on what i'm aiming for if what i've
said has been confusing!

thoughts/comments/welcome...

thanks

-bruce