Open Box

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Thu Jul 15 12:39:49 UTC 2004

Duncan wrote:
> hi All ,
>
> i am getting this wen i tail /var/spool/maillog .Wat does this mean
> .Pliz help
>
> Jul 15 13:35:24 domain sendmail[11987]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
> [216.110.96.68]
> Jul 15 13:35:41 domain sendmail[11994]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
> [216.110.96.68]

Since your logfiles don't show any "from/to" entries, just the NOQUEUE, I
doubt that this system is an open relay. The above is probably caused by an
MTA connecting to your system and then disconnecting without issuing HELO,
MAIL FROM, RCPT TO, etc... commands.

Based on how often these attempts are being logged (every few seconds), I
would block this IP address at my firewall.

Steve Cowles