RH7.3 on 486

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Jul 16 00:31:19 UTC 2004

On July 15, 2004 12:28 am, John Longland wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Trying to make me a LAMP server using RH7.3 on an old 486
> of mine at home. I thought that the HDD detection etc would be a
> problem.... Before I could even get to that, I picked up problems with the
> CDROM that cannot be put in the boot-sequence for that motherboard.
>
> SO I had to go the boot-disk-from-rawrite way :
>
> Create bootdisk on another machine.
> Bootseq starts. I cannot report if I can see anything about picking up
> a CDROM ( I cant read that quickly ! )
> Eventually it starts running RH init ver 7.2
> It then gets to:  running /sbin/loader
> Install exited abnormally....received signal 11
>
> and then proceeds to shutdown.
>
> I suspect that it cannot see the CDROM.
>
> I tried the following images:
> boot.img
> oldcdrom.img ( here it reports that it cannot boot of it ; reading the
> readme
>                         it sounds as if this is only drivers )
>
> Has anyone got some experience getting RH on a 486-DX2-50.
> All slots are ISA bus. 32 M memory.
>
> TIW
>
> John Longland
> IMS
> www.im-systems.com
> johnl at im-systems.com
> www.musicaexscriptum.com

Hi,
I used to run my firewall and my webserver on 486's (the web serv was a 486
DX2/66 with 24 MB RAM, and I think the fw was roughly the same, although it
did have pci).

I would start by trying a newer cdrom, just during install, you can always
remove or swap it later. I think the oldcdrom.img is for proprietary (non
ide) cd's, so you don't want that.

If needed, and you have the space, you can always copy the cd's onto the hdd,
and install into a different partition. (copy cd 1 onto the drive, then copy
the .rpm's fo\rom other cd into the same dir (...RedHat/RPMS/)

Hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce