upgrade firefox question

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Mon Jul 19 01:25:31 UTC 2004

On July 18, 2004 06:12 pm, Stephen W wrote:
> Using RH 9.0
>
> Downloading Firefoc 0.9 (I am presently using 0.8).
>
> I know that with an RPM I can use the -U to tell the
> RPM to Update the existing program.
>
> What happens when I use the *tar.gz file of firefox?
> Will it automatically simpley UPGRADE?  Or Overwrite
> existing?  Or create a parallell install?
>
> How do I handle such a situation?
>
> Thanks
> StephenW

IIRC you can just unpack the arcive into a directory or your choice. I have
firefox-0.9-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar.gz unpacked into /usr/local/firefox

Note that if you install into somewhere only root can write to, you need to
run firefox as root the first time you use it so that some files can be
created. You'll also need to copy/link your plugins into the new dir.

Hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce