Spamassassin milter modifying message body

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Mon Jul 19 21:15:33 UTC 2004

Eucke Warren wrote:
> Steve,
>
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf has the following enabled
>
> required_hits 5
> rewrite_subject 1
> subject_tag [SPAM]
>
> I am running 2.44-11.8.x as per rpm -q.  I am running the
> spamass-milter -0.2.0.  I do not believe that report_safe is an
> option for this vintage of spamassassin and -m is deprecated in
> future use and isn't what I want anyway.  Are you running a newer
> version or are you running the same as me?  According to the
> spamassassin.org site the report safe did not become an option until
> the 2.5-x series.  Or did I miss something? (THAT'S always
> possible....)
>
> Thank you again
>
> -Eucke

As of Dec. 2003, I have since switched to using postfix/SA as my MTA. But
prior to this, I did use sendmail/spamass-milter/SA. In fact, I still
maintain backups of my sendmail/spamass-milter/SA config files from my RH9
system. Unfortunately, I can't tell what version of SA I was running at that
time. Probably the latest available rpm for RH9 (like 2.5x ?). I'm now
running SA-2.63-8 on an FC2 system.

For reference, my backup config files from my RH9 system...

[root at excelsior mail]# pwd
/home/scowles/backups/voyager/etc/mail

[root at excelsior mail]# grep spamass sendmail.mc
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamass.sock, F=,
T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')

[root at excelsior sysconfig]# pwd
/home/scowles/backups/voyager/etc/sysconfig

[root at excelsior sysconfig]# cat spamass-milter
# Local spamass-milter config
SM_SOCKET=/var/run/spamass.sock
SM_EXTRA_FLAGS="-i 192.168.9.0/24"

[root at excelsior sysconfig]# cat spamd
# Add options for spamassassin (spamd)
OPTIONS="-d -a -u nobody -L"

[root at excelsior spamassassin]# pwd
/home/scowles/backups/voyager/etc/mail/spamassassin

<cut/paste from local.cf>

rewrite_subject 0
use_terse_reports 1
report_safe 1
skip_rbl_checks 1

My SA config requirements are actually quite simple:
1) Only add the SA headers regarding spam
2) Do not modify the subject line (rewrite_subject)
3) If tagged as spam, encapsulate the email as an attachment (report_safe)
4) My MTA does RBL checking, so disable SA rbl checks.

FWIW: I do remember changing the above SA config options during my testing
phase. During this time, I don't remember having any problems with
spamass-milter-0.2.0 not passing any change that SA made back to sendmail
for final delivery. I initially wanted SA to rewrite the subject line, but
figured out that testing the e-mail headers for the X-Spam-Status: Yes/No
flag was a better approach.

Hope the above helps
Steve Cowles