New squirrelmail breaks the nb_NO locale

Roger Aas roger.aas at hsh.no
Tue Jul 20 07:59:01 UTC 2004

Roger Aas wrote:
> The new squirrelmail RPM for RHEL3AS (squirrelmail-1.4.3-0.e3.1) breaks
> the nb_NO locale (Norwegian bokmaal). Selecting that locale in the user
> preferences or setting it as the default locale in squirrelmail's config
> will only display the en_US locale. The other locales I have tested works,
> including nn_NO (Norwegian nynorsk).
>
> But I need the nb_NO locale working ASAP for a student mailserver I am
> setting up.
>
> The previous squirrelmail (squirrelmail-1.2.11-1) had a working no_NO
> locale (Norwegian), but this is named differently. Maybe that is the
> reason why it is broken in the new version?

OK, after sending the same message to Squirrelmail's internationalization
(i18n) list I got the answer to this problem. The problem is that glibc
don't support nb_NO yet so you have to work around that. I was given two
procedures to make it work:

Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
 > From 1.4.3rc1 changelog
 > -  Norwegian Bokmal translation uses nb_NO.
 >
 > Option No.1 run 'localedef nb_NO -i no_NO -f ISO-8859-1' without quotes and restart webserver
 >
 > You will have to rerun that command every time you upgrade glibc until you get glibc version with nb_NO system locale.
 >
 > Option No.2 revert nb_NO to no_NO.
 > a) you have to edit functions/i18n.php
 > http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/squirrelmail/squirrelmail/functions/i18n.php?r1=1.129.2.15&r2=1.129.2.16
 > b) you have to rename nb_NO directories in help/ and locale/

nb_NO support is now in the CVS tree for glibc so it will come in a future
release. Until then I use option 1 myself.

Regards,
Roger