configuring sendmail to reject spoofed email addresses

Nathaniel Hall halln at otc.edu
Tue Jul 20 14:10:25 UTC 2004

Incorrect.  His e-mail is actually from redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com ( on
behalf of him ).  The return patch is "Return-Path:
<redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com>".  This is how it should be.

Some e-mail clients, instead of showing the real from address, will show the
address of the person you specify.  In this case, the mailing list software
replaces the users address (dtyler at frazerbilt.com) with the mailing list
address (redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com) but still trys to make it appear
dtyler is sending it.  Outlook 2003 tells you someone else's email address
sent it, but it was supposed to be from dtyler.

Nathaniel Hall
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician

Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking
417-799-0552