configuring sendmail to reject spoofed email addresses

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Jul 20 14:22:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:10:25AM -0500, Nathaniel Hall wrote:
> Incorrect.  His e-mail is actually from redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com ( on
> behalf of him ).  The return patch is "Return-Path:
> <redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com>".  This is how it should be.

Which is exactly what I said.  The From (dtyler) address does not match the
Return-Path address (redhat-list-bounces).  He wanted to reject those
addresses where they didn't match.

> Outlook 2003 tells you someone else's email address
> sent it, but it was supposed to be from dtyler.

You're the one using Outlook, not me :-).  I looked at the headers I
received in the final message.

There are, however, 2 From addresses.  There's the envelope from and the
message from, and they could be different.  That could be what we're
talking about here.