IPCHAINS

Duncan drack at mweb.co.zw
Wed Jul 21 06:59:03 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Nesbitt" <pete at linux1.ca>
To: "Duncan" <drack at mweb.co.zw>; "General Red Hat Linux discussion list"
<redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: IPCHAINS

<redhat-list at redhat.com>

> > other

> > 5.167.2.0/24   -j

> > 5.167.2.0/24   -j

> > 5.167.2.0/24   -j

you
> own) and your ISP routes them for you, you don't need masqarading. There
is
> no difference on the LAN side of the firewall, as right now all machines
> could browse the internet if forwarding in in place. So, no I don't think
it
> would complicate your firewall.
>
> So I see the network as this:
>
> LAN <ethernet> FW <ppp> ISP <-> Internet
>
> As long as the LAN boxes have the fw as default gateways, and the fw has
the
> PPP connection to the ISP as it's dfault gateway, you rules should be
fine.

> You'll need to walk each connection thru the fw using an 'input, forward,
> output' path. Your basic rules look like they will work once the 'paths'
are
> complete. Does your ISP range need to be allowed to initiate a session or
is
> that so you can get to them for proxy or something, if so you should set
them
> up to not allow syn packets inbound to your LAN. You may also want to add
ssh
> from your workstaion to the fw.
>
> Hope that helps.
> --
> Pete Nesbitt, rhce

Hi Pete,

I guess i just have to try wat you  are saying , it really does make sense .
The thing is i just wanted the firewall to be so simpe that it would not
involve much modifications in the future should someone want some changes.

Thanks a million .Someone had said if u noticed that forwarding is not
necessary .Thanks