[Help] Strange Linux server no response problem, fixed by hitting ENTER at console!

Charles charles at aib.net
Wed Jul 21 08:13:06 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Recently one of our servers randomly stop responding, but it does not hang.

When the problem happens, all the network services stop responding, but
the server is still running. Then many processes are queued up and cause the
avg no. of process running sky to over 100 in 10min! If I was connecting an
ssh to the server, it just stop response but the connection is still there.
ping also has response.

The most strange thing is, when I press an ENTER key at the console, the
problem solved instantly and everything back to normal. Even my ssh connection
will have response again.

Our server's config:

Hardware: Dual P3-700Mhz, 640M RAM, 2 x 10G IDE HDD running Software RAID-1
OS: RedHat Linux 8.0
kernel: kernel-2.4.18-14smp

Special config:
- freeswan-1.99_x509_0.9.15_2.4.18_14 installed

Do you know what happens and kindly give me any suggestions? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Charles