What is this "root=LABEL=/" stuff?

Roger grunky at rockriver.net
Thu Jul 22 16:51:05 UTC 2004

Harry Hoffman wrote:

>Hi Doug,
>
>The LABEL is referring to a filesystem label introduced some time ago.
>Essentially it allows you to label a disk parition. This is useful because once
>labeled you don't need to refer to the partition by diskname[part#] (ie. hda5).
>
>That way if you add more disks and the device names switch it won't screw you up.

I'll add the following - if you take another disk w/ a label marked '/'
you'll run into problems.

I took a disk from a RH8 system to a RH9 - some emergency disk
operations on another parition- and it mounted the wrong partition
because hdb had a partition marked as '/'

The problem was corrected by just explicitly specifiing /dev/hda5 as the
mount point for / as opposed to the label.

Sorry - to comment so late on this thread.

--
Rock River Internet                          Roger Grunkemeyer
202 W. State St, 8th Floor                grunky at rockriver.net
Rockford, IL 61101                           815-968-9888 x102