imap server comparisons

Lloyd H. Meinholz lloyd.meinholz at bmpcoe.org
Thu Jul 22 16:54:21 UTC 2004

I'm in the process of setting up an IMAP server for my company. I'm
using postfix and am happy with that. I googled unsuccessfully for a
comparison of the OS IMAP servers that I know of (UW, Cyrus, Courier and
Dovecot). Does anyone have any strong opinions, pointers or advice on
picking one of the servers?

What I have think so far: I have been using Courier/postfix on my gentoo
workstation for a year or so and have been happy with it and am leaning
towards that. Dovecot seemed very interesting because of the emphasis on
security, but seems like the least mature. Cyrus seemed acceptable. UW
IMAP seemed the weakest, even though I was tempted to use that just
because it is the IMAP server RHEL 3 distributes (but I don't think I
will, they want to have it running from within xinetd instead of as a
daemon and the release seems pretty old...) I'm not sure how strong the
communities are around each of these products.

I would like my user list to come from my LDAP server (so I don't need a
Unix account for each email user) and all the servers seem to support
that (how easily is another question...). I would prefer the maildir
format, but again all the servers seem to support that. Otherwise, I
think my requirements are pretty simple.

Thanks for any feedback or pointers,

Lloyd