Kernel upgrade problems

Kalpesh Modi kalpesh.modi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 21:42:20 UTC 2004

Hello:
I' ve been trying to update my current kernel version 2.4.18-14 to
2.4.20 on RH8.0 to interface it with a Logitech Quick Cam pro 4000.
I 've :
1. downlaodd the patch 2.4.20.tar.gz
2.copied files
3. installed modules
4. recompiled kernel
5. copied the image and system.map and .config files

then i do edit my GRUB and when i restart. my kernel 2.4.20 shows up
but when i select and start it ,
i get a message listing my grub.config file for kernel 2.4.20 and then an error:
Error 15: file not found
my current grub.conf file contents are:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,2)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda9
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda3
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20 ro root=/dev/sda9
	initrd /initrd-2.4.20.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
	initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img
Also my initrd-2.4.20.img file has not been created. I tried creating
it using mkinitrd but am unable to locate the initrd-2.4.20 image file

i wud highly appreciate if someone could help me with this
Best regards,
Kalpesh
Rochester Institute of Technology