x server fatal font error

Austin auji at cruzio.com
Fri Jul 23 00:38:46 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:01:37 -0700, Austin wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>When I boot RH 9, Linux 2.4.20-8 the x server will not start, and the
>>monitor cycles on and off. There is a "Fatal server error: could not
>>open default font 'fixed'"
>>
>>I can get to XF86Config but I've mucked around with the font paths here
>>before with no luck. Does any anyone know how to fix this problem
>>without reinstalling Linux?
>>

>Not enough information to decide on what has been damaged.
>Is the font server (xfs) running?  service xfs status
>If not, enable it and start it before you try to start X again.
>(chkconfig xfs on ; service xfs start)

Yes it is.
ps -ef | grep xfs
xfs   3661   1   0   10:12 ? 00:00:00 [xfs]

There is no /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 backup.  It was working fine
yesterday, and when i booted this morning x would not come up.  I might
have make some resolution changes yesterday before shutting down.  " rpm
-qa --last | tac | tail" shows nothing.

Thank you.