Mount Problems - No medium found

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Jul 23 03:31:01 UTC 2004

On July 20, 2004 12:03 am, sajsan at vsnl.net wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When I try to mount a DATA CD by using
>
> mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660
>
> I get
>
> mount: block device /dev/hdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: No medium found
>
> I've googled and tried many different things and still nothing seems to
> work.  I am close to going crazy.
>
> I am running RH 9 (Kernel Version - 2.4.20-31.9)
> 128 MB RAM
> 40 GB HDD
>
> My /etc/fstab looks like this
>
> LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
> LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
> none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstick vfat user,noauto,unmask=0 0 0
> /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> Here is my output of dmesg | grep hdb
>
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xa800-0xa807, BIOS settings: hdaMA, hdbMA
> hdb: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152C, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdb: attached ide-cdrom driver.
> hdb: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks
> Vaneeri

Hi,
I can reproduce that if I point to the wrong device, for example, I have 2
cd's, and I get the error if I put a cd disk in the wrong drive (cdrom &
cdrom1) I get: (disk is in /dev/cdrom1)
#mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom1 -t iso9660
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: No medium found
#

So it looks like /dev/cdrom is not linked to /dev/hdb

Does it work with any/all of:
mount /mnt/cdrom
mount /mnt/cdrom  -t iso9660
mount /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom  -t iso9660

if so, you need to correct the sym link /dev/cdrom

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce