imap server comparisons

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Fri Jul 23 11:18:27 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 19:04, Mark Dadgar wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2004, at 10:31 AM, Jason Dixon wrote:
> >> I'm in the process of setting up an IMAP server for my company. I'm
> >> using postfix and am happy with that. I googled unsuccessfully for a
> >> comparison of the OS IMAP servers that I know of (UW, Cyrus, Courier
> >> and
> >> Dovecot). Does anyone have any strong opinions, pointers or advice on
> >> picking one of the servers?
> >
> > I don't have any experience with Dovecot.  I prefer Courier based on
> > the Maildir format and its ease of installation and configuration.  Of
> > course, you'll find just as many people claiming the same of Cyrus.
>
> I can't imagine anyone claiming Cyrus is easy to configure.
Dovecot is very easy to configure - it has a well-commented configuration
file. I kind of fell into using it as it is one of the default imap servers
on FC2, which I use extensively at the moment.
current setup involves
postfix/sasl - > MailScanner -> clamav -> spamassassin -> procmail ->
dovecot/ssl
works like a dream.
just my 2p worth.

Stuart