htaccess woes

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Mon Jul 26 13:43:08 UTC 2004

On Monday 26 July 2004 08:57, MKlinke wrote:
> On Monday 26 July 2004 05:13, kenwardc wrote:
> > Hi All
> >

> It sounds like you're putting the wrong file in the web site folder.
> Your setup should look something like below:
>
> Regards,  Mike Klinke
>
> ---------------------------
>

> ---- /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf -----
>
> <Directory "/var/www/html/protected_directory">
>         AllowOverride AuthConfig
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
> </Directory>

I'm not sure if the above in httpd.conf is necessary. I think by default the
httpd.conf in RHEL (w/ apache2) allows you to put .htaccess file anywhere.

I'd try the suggestion below first, wihout changing the httpd.conf and see if
it works (except if you've changed the default so that you need to explicitly
enable AuthConfig option for the protected_directory).

RDB
--
 09:40:21  up 12 days,  9:36, 32 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.14, 0.07