boot stalling

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Tue Jul 27 19:46:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Noah wrote:

> redhat-9.0
> kernel version:  2.4.20-31.9
>
> just loaded linux on a machine with a ASUS AN7X8 deluxe motherboard
>
> the boot is stalling at the following lines:

This looks like you're using SATA drives, correct?  I had similar issues
when I was trying to do SATA and PATA on the same motherboard.  I ended up
putting the BIOS into compatibility mode.

Come to think of it, I seem to recall that the 2.4 kernels had some issues
with SATA in native mode, as opposed to compatibility mode, though
somebody else should be able to give more light on that.

Basically, look in the BIOS for a compatibility mode and give it a shot.
Let us know what happens.

Ben