Simple BASH question

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jul 29 04:05:24 UTC 2004

On 23:27 28 Jul 2004, Anthony E. Greene <tony at greene-family.org> wrote:
| On 28-Jul-2004/16:49 +0200, Jean-Christophe Valiere <jyce at free.fr> wrote:
| >
| > If I put "set bell-style none" in /etc/inputrc it works (no sound any more)
| > whereas, if I put it in ~/.bashrc it doesn't.
| > Does somebody know why ??
|
| If this is a valid environment variable, the bash syntax would be
|   export bell-style=none
| and it should be put in ~/.bash_profile

But it's not of course, because it has a dash in it.

The core reason is that "set bell-style none" is _not_ a shell command,
it's a GNU-readline command, which is why it belongs in the .inputrc
(the readline control file) instead of in the bash control files.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Helicopters are considerably more expensive [than fixed wing aircraft],
which is only right because they don't actually fly, but just beat
the air into submission.        - Paul Tomblin