access fat32 partition in rh7.2

Anish Mathew nedumannilanish at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 05:54:08 UTC 2004

Do the following steps..
1.Create mount point(directories) in /mnt/
 ie mkdir /mnt/{C,D,E}

2.Edit /etc/fstab and add the following lines at the end.
/dev/hda1  /mnt/C vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/D vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/E vfat defaults 0 0

if u want to add specific options look at "mount" man page and change
"defaults" to options u need.
this would work only if u have the necessary modules compiled in
3. save and exit the file
4 now mount the partitions.
mount /mnt/C
mount /mnt/D
mount /mnt/E

i guess this list does not entertain windows related questions..
so think next time when u post .
Anish

Dhananjay Kansara <djkan at softhome.net> wrote:
Hi friends,

Im new to linux and want to access my two fat32 partitions in my redhat 7.2 installed in the same hard drive. My partition tables and fstab contents are mentioned below. Kindly let me know which files to edit to get these partitions mounted in linux, and do i have any options to access linux partitions in win98.

Device start, end, system
/dev/hda1, 1, 487, win95 fat32
/dev/hda2 , 488, 2438, win95 ext'd (lba)
/dev/hda5, 488, 974, win95 fat32
/dev/hda6, 975, 1947, win95 fat32
/dev/hda7, 1948, 1950, linux
/dev/hda8, 1951, 1983, linux swap
/dev/hda9, 1984, 2438, linux

fstab
label=/ ,/, ext3, defaults, 1 1
label=/boot, /boot, ext3, defaults,1 2
none, /dev/pts, devpts, gid=5, mode=620",0 0
none ,/proc, proc, defaults,0 0
none, /dev/shm ,tmpfs, defaults,0 0
/dev/hda8 ,swap, swap, defaults,0 0
/dev/fd0, /mnt/floppy, auto , noauto.owner.kudzu,0 0

Dhananjay Kansara

WholE WorlD is A FamilY